This Thursday I’m heading to lovely Atlanta, Georgia, for my sixth Dragon Con. For those of you who haven’t been exposed to the wonder of Dragon Con yet, it’s one of the largest conventions in the United States and a mecca for all things geek. “Fan tracks” are all run by volunteers and cover topics as wide-ranging as Alternate History and Young Adult Literature. There’s something for everyone to see and do at Dragon Con, and not only that, I get to hang out with a bunch of awesome people and see a bunch of awesome costumes!
Dragon Con is also home to a great Writer’s Track, along with extra-fee writing workshops run by Mike Stackpole. This year, along with being a panelist for three Star Wars panels, I managed to squeeze some writing panels into my schedule.
- Seminar 3: Characterization (Mike Stackpole)
- Podcasting Authors Roundtable
- Writing Smart YA Sci-F: Getting the Science Right
- Seminar 9: Them’s Fightin’ Words (Timothy Zahn and Janine Spendlove)
- Worldbuilding 101
- Whose Point of View
My Star Wars panels are as follows:
- All the Single Ladies – An academic discussion of sexism and objectification in Star Wars and fandom and the controversy surrounding the Episode VII cast (Friday, 4 pm. Mariott A706)
- Episode VII – What we know so far. Rumors, casting, plots, speculation, injuries–at least we have a new movie! (Saturday, 4 pm, Mariott A601-602)
- A New Hope: Who Was Luke Skywalker? – Is he overrated or underrated? Are you team Jedi or team Scoundrel? And what’s next for our hero? (Monday, 11:30 am, Mariott A706)
We’ll be recording these panels and posting them on the Tosche Station feed during and after the convention as part of our Tosche Station On Location coverage.
In addition to attending and sitting on panels, I’ll be walking in the Geek Girls Run fun run on Friday morning; sashaying into the Suits, Sinatra, and Star Wars cocktail mixer on Friday night; participating in a Star Wars Expanded Universe photo shoot on Sunday morning, dressed in my old Mirax Terrik costume; and stepping out as Wild Style from The LEGO Movie on Sunday night.
I hope to see you there!