One of the effects of completely redoing the first two parts of my outline is that I have to rewrite huge chunks of my novel. I’d written about 16 chapters before I hit a wall back in December, and I was hoping I wouldn’t have to get rid of all of it. Thankfully, when analyzing the new outline, I realized I could use a lot of the old scenes. I have to rewrite them, of course, incorporating the new plot points and character arcs, but at least I have something to start from, instead of a blank page.

Today I went through my outline and my old draft and cut and pasted scenes I could re-use into new documents. I was able skeleton out Chapters 5-8, and figured out how exactly I need to rewrite them and which scenes I need to add in. Some of them I just need to change dialogue and references, others I need to change settings, others I need to change point of view. Even though there’s still a lot of work left, I feel accomplished, and the rewrite doesn’t feel nearly as daunting. I’m actually looking forward to it now.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s